Friday 15 February 2019

HOW TO: ADD A BUNGEE STRAP TO A SHEARWATER PETREL 1/2

Without doubt, Shearwater Research have dominated the computer market over the past few years.  With the PerdixTeric, and Petrel 2 computers for sale, along with the NERD 2, and controllers for the JJ-CCRX-CCRSF2 and rEvo rebreathers to name a few, Shearwater Research are probably the computer manufacturer at the minute, especially in the technical market.  

Back in 2013 I purchased my Shearwater Petrel which has performed faultlessly, and for this reason I have never felt the need to upgrade to a Perdix. However, in my opinion, the only downside is the strap.  Back in my blog review I stated:

The elasticated straps on the Petrel appear much safer than those I’d previously used on my VR3 as there is a locking mechanism on the adjuster to prevent it from coming loose.  The straps are more than long enough so I set mine up for my drysuit, left a small amount of spare end and then cut the remaining off.  I’ve also added an O-ring on each strap to keep the spare end tight against the strap; especially when wearing a wetsuit when the spare end is much longer.

The Petrel also comes with a bungee mount which comprises of 2 rubber inserts that get threaded through instead of the straps.  5mm bungee/shock cord is then added to this.  I have not tested these as I worry that the area around the eye could split if too much tension is applied.  I’m sure it won’t but it doesn’t look as secure as the metal one for the Shearwater Predator.

Fast forward nearly 6 years I have tried a number of mounting options.  I tried the strap, but soon ditched it in favour of bungee as all of my other wrist mounted devices use it.

I initially used the supplied bungee mounts which were very stable and prevented the bungee from moving in the widened wrist strap slot.  However, I felt that they had an unnecessary failure point so ditched them.

The next method I tried, which I used for at least 4 years, was to slot the bungee through the wrist strap slot and securing it with an overhand knot. This worked really well as the bungee provided enough resistance to work on wet and dry suit wrists, and was really secure.  The only down side however was that the bungee could migrate to the inner side of the slots creating a narrow, and possibly unstable platform.  Especially when I had a cutting device fitted.  

Recently however I came across a method for bungee mounting on a different instrument, so I modified the method and used it on my Petrel

Construction of the bungee mount

You will need the following:
1. Approximately 50cm of 5mm bungee.
2. Lighter.

And you may require:
1.  Scissors or a sharp blade.
2.  Pliers.




Firstly, remove the old strap.

Starting from the outside and going inwards, wrap the bungee twice (or 3 times depending on the thickness) so that the end of the bungee cord is on the inside, but facing out.





Depending on the thickness of the bungee you may require a set of pliers to assist pulling it out.

Once complete tie an overhand knot and pull it tight into the computer, pulling out any spare end.


At this stage, the cord can be threaded through a cutting device if you're wearing one on your wrist.  Thread the bungee back through the slot on the far side of the computer and reverse the process.

During this process it may be required to do some test sizing on your arm, especially if you're going to use it for both wet and dry suits.


Lastly repeat the process for the other strap and cut and burn off the ends of the bungee.

As you can see from the photo, the strap is now wider which provides a much more stable platform whilst still allowing easy donning and doffing of the computer.  

The older Shearwater Predator came with a metal bungee mount, and the newer Perdix comes with an inbuilt bungee mount, but for whatever reason Shearwater decided not to put one on the Petrel series of computers.  However, as you can see this process is very simple, but effective workaround solution.  Maybe I'll see some of these improvised straps at a dive site near me soon.

Safe diving.

The boring bit!
All opinions expressed in my articles are my own and may differ to other instructor’s and agency guidelines; by no means are they wrong and I would not wish to disrepute any of them.  This article is for information only and should not replace proper training.

Safe diving!

Timothy Gort
BSAC, PADI & SDI/TDI diver training
l Mob: 07968148261 l Email: tim@rectotec.co.uk l





3 comments:

  1. Great post. Definitely this one of the informative and useful posts to me. Thanks for the share. Marine accessories with the best quality of stainless steel. If you want to buy with great quality then click the lowes strap

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very helpful post. If you need to sell an old or unwanted car in Adelaide, I highly recommend our Car Removal Adelaide, Toyota Wreckers Adelaide, Honda Wreckers Adelaide, Adelaide Unwanted Car Removal, and Cash for Scrap Cars services. I will help you get the most value for your car and make the process as easy and stress-free as possible. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this valuable knowledge with us. This post contains a lot of useful information. Keep up the wonderful work, and may God bless you. Check out the Cash for Cars Adelaide, Car Removals Adelaide, Old Car Removals, and 4x4 Truck Removal Adelaide services if you need to get rid of an old, trash, or unwanted vehicle while also earning some cash.

    ReplyDelete