Saturday 7 March 2020

HOW TO: CHANGE A SUUNTO DIVE COMPUTER BATTERY (NEWER MODELS)

I’ve seen the question “why do I have to pay £40 to fit a £2 battery?  Is this something I can do myself?” asked numerous times on forums and social media, and the answer is simply yes.  So when the time came to change one on my wife’s computer I thought it was time I wrote a blog about how it’s done.

This was the opening line to a very similar blog written almost 12 months ago where I showed you how to change a computer battery on older Suunto models such as the Vyper, Vytec and Gekko.  Earlier on this year one of my dive clubs needed to change some of their computer batteries prior to an overseas trip later that week so my wife stepped up, and given the computers were a newer model (Zoop) to the ones from my previous blog, I thought I’d write a second edition.

DISCLAIMER
Do not carry out any work if you are unsure.  Diving equipment is life support equipment.  If you are in any doubt please visit your local dive shop (LDS).

Furthermore Suunto strongly advises against changing the battery yourself and that it should be done professionally.  If you change your own battery and the computer fails or floods due to a lack of pressure test then you are doing so at your own risk.

Fitting the battery
Caveat.  Given the lack of pictures within this blog, my other blog may need to be consulted if you are unsure of the description.  

You will need the following:
1. 2450 battery.
2. Torx (size T6).
3. Replacement O-ring (optional but kits available on eBay often come with one).
4. Small flat thin screwdriver (optional).
5. O-ring grease (optional).

The battery cover opens by removing 3 screws with the Torx (size T6).
Remove the cover, and then finally the battery.

Swap out the battery and re-assemble, taking particular note of the O-ring.  Ensure it is laid flat and when replacing the cover it does not pinch.  If you decide to use grease ensure it is used sparingly and ensure that the O-ring is free of dust and lint.

Replace the cover and 3 screws.

Once you’ve checked that it works and fires up remember to reset the date & time.  If you’re still using the traditional strap, why not mount it in a Bungee Mount instead?

The boring bit!
All opinions expressed in my articles are my own and may differ to other instructor’s and agency guidelines; by no means are they wrong and I would not wish to disrepute any of them.  This article is for information only and should not replace proper training.

Safe diving!

Timothy Gort
BSAC, PADI & SDI/TDI diver training
l Mob: 07968148261 l Email: tim@rectotec.co.uk l

1 comment: