Saturday 16 February 2019

2018; A YEAR IN REVIEW

2018 has been a rollercoaster of highs and lows for rectotec, starting off with the biggest high of them all, the arrival of my baby daughter.  I’ve also been posted within the Army which has seen me move from Surrey to North Devon. It’s a painful commute but at least I’m closer to the coast.

In terms of teaching I’ve taught a number of BSAC Sports DiverDive Leader, Boat Handling (including qualifying instructors) and Trimix courses, TDI AN/DP and AN/Helitrox courses.  As usual I’ve also been working as an Instructor Trainer on BSAC Instructor Courses (IFC through to exams) and am now fully qualified to run the courses as well as teach on them.  
 

In terms of other projects, I’ve been working on some of the new BSAC training materials, as usual I was presenting on the TEKDeck Stage at the NEC Dive Show and I’m also one of the first First Response Training International (FRTI) instructors within the UK.  I was also part of a team of divers who placed a memorial plaque on the wreck of tthe Glenart Castle at a depth of 75m on the centenary of its sinking. And at the time of writing I am producing an article for SCUBA Magazine. 


Or watch the video on Vimeo here.

In terms of conferences I attended the usual two; the annual Joint Service Diving Safety Conference and bi-annual EuroTEK.  But unfortunately, this year I was unable to be a Safety Diver at TekCamp (despite being asked) as I was in Scapa Flow. 

And then in terms of my usual diving I did a week’s Trimix diving with Jack Ingle in Malta, a week on Valhalla in Scapa, and the usual south coast and inland sites.

Unfortunately though, I’ve not managed to do as much as I’ve wanted, mainly due to the new baby. So, I’ve no complaints.  I’ve only managed to publish one blog, although I’ve a dozen in draft format, I’ve still got Malta & Scapa videos to produce and I’ve been unable to commit to more courses than I care to admit.  It probably won’t get much better in early 2019 as I may be away/overseas for most of the first 6 months.  However, by the time this article is published a number of website updates should have been done.

Looking upwards into 2019 however I’ve still got a deal on PADI Enriched Air Diver (Nitrox) courses for the first 5 students to enable me to complete my PADI Tec 45/50 Instructor upgrade; the cost, £60.  I also plan to start my TDI Normixic Trimix instructor with Mark Powell.  

If you’re interested in any courses in 2019 then get in touch.

Safe diving.

The boring bit!
All opinions expressed in my articles are my own and may differ to other instructor’s and agency guidelines; by no means are they wrong and I would not wish to disrepute any of them.  This article is for information only and should not replace proper training.

Safe diving!

Timothy Gort
BSAC, PADI & SDI/TDI diver training
l Mob: 07968148261 l Email: tim@rectotec.co.ukl

No comments:

Post a Comment